Skillet Broccoli with Toasted Garlic and Lemon
From The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
- 1 bunch broccoli ( 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the broccoli florets into 1 inch pieces and slice the broccoli stalks 1/4 inch thick. Combine the florets, stalks and water in a 12-inch nonstick skillet. Cover and cook on high heat until the water is simmering and the broccoli begins to turn bright green, about 2 minutes. Uncover and cook until the water evaporates, about 5 minutes. Broccoli should be tender.
- Clear the center of the pan and add the oil, garlic, and pepper flakes. Mash the garlic into the pan with the back of a spoon and allow the garlic to cook for 10 seconds before stirring it into the broccoli. Remove from heat, stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.