Braised Rainbow Chard on Toast.
From Homegrown by Marta Teegen
- 24 large rainbow chard leaves, thick stems removed
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional
- 2-3 cups chicken stock
- Coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 loaf country white bread
- 1 large heirloom tomato
- 1/2 lemon
- Cut the chard leaves into 1-inch thick ribbons and thoroughly wet them. Smash the garlic cloves with the side of a knife. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds. Add the wet chard. When the chard has cooked down enough to cover the pan with a lid, add the chicken stock 1 cup at a time. Continue adding stock until the chard is just covered. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until the stock has been completely cooked down. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice and toast the bread. While the bread is toasting, slice the tomato. Pile braised chard on the toast, squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice over it, and top with a slice of tomato. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.